Sunday, May 1, 2011

Perks of Being a Wallflower Ending

I thought the ending of The Perks of Being a Wallflower was very interesting. It was interesting how the whole book leads to revealing an event of his past. The epilogue showed how wise Charlie is, and he said some great things that many people, including me, do not regularly consider. Charlie says that he could blame someone for what happened, and there's probably someone you can blame for anything. However, he then says that in order to blame someone you'd have to blame everyone that had an impact on them. He writes, "It's like if I blamed my aunt Helen, I would have to blame her dad for hitting her when she was little. And the person who fooled around with him. And God for not stopping all this and things that are much worse." I thought this was a really interesting way to look at it, and I can't imagine going through what Charlie went through without blaming her for it. He talks about how we are all who we are for many reasons and we may never know many of them. He says that we don't have the power to choose where we're from, but we can still choose where we go from there. I just thought that this was a great ending to the book; it answered questions about Charlie that came up throughout the book, and it offered a look at what the book was really all about.

No comments:

Post a Comment