Thursday, May 12, 2011

A Member of a Group: Basketball Team

Ive been a part of many different basketball teams---YMCA youth basketball teams, McFarland varsity basketball team, and many AAU teams. I've felt like I was a part of all of these groups. One of these teams was the Wisconsin Swing. I played for them around my freshman year, and I loved the team as a whole. That whole summer I felt like I was an important part of that team, and it made a huge difference.

 One game in particular, I felt like I belonged more than ever. We were playing an older team from a very well-known club in the state. It was close throughout the whole game, but we were down by two with very little time left. We had the possession, and we needed to score. After we got the ball in, I, the point guard, had the ball and was dribbling through the press; however, I stepped on the line. I felt terribly and I was so embarrassed. They had the ball out of bounds under the basket, and we somehow prevented them from getting it in. A five second calll was called, and we were given the ball. I had just let down my teammates, and the last thing I wanted was to have the ball at that time. However, my coach and team were behind me, and the best shooter on my team said that I should take the shot. I didn't want to, but with only about three seconds left, she passed me the ball in the backcourt. I dribbled the length of the court and took a running three-pointer from several feet beyond the arc and made it.

My whole team was there cheering me on, and I felt so good about myself. They had a lot of confience in me, and that gave me more confidence I had just let them down, yet they believed in me and it worked out this time. All of my teammates and my coach were so happy for me and were very excited; I truly felt like I was a part of their group.

No comments:

Post a Comment