Thursday, May 5, 2011

Metamorphosis


I woke up one morning, turned off my alarm clock, and went to get some breakfast---like any other morning. I ate my breakfast, and started to get ready for open gym. When I arrived at the school, I put on my basketball shoes and got up to get a basketball. I planned to start with build-ups, like I do before every game and work out; however, I couldn’t seem to remember how to shoot. I couldn’t hit the basket, and I had no idea how to shoot properly. Confused, I thought I’d take a break from shooting and work on ball handling. As I started to dribble, my dad walked in the gym and asked, “What are you doing? Get to work.” I was dribbling with two hands, and I could not control the ball. I was staring directly at the ball. All of my muscle memory was gone. My dad was extremely frustrated and confused. Of course, he was just worried about me getting my work done. He wasn’t concerned with what was happening to me…he wanted me to practice. I didn’t know what to do; how could everything I know be gone all of a sudden? I couldn’t really believe it, and my dad didn’t seem to believe it at all. I was extremely upset and I couldn’t function; I’ve spent endless hours working hard to be a better basketball player since I was in fourth grade. It was a part of me and who I am. I stood there confused while my dad’s frustration rose. 

No comments:

Post a Comment