Thursday, April 21, 2011

Racism/Segregation

So, I'm watching Remember the Titans on TV right now, and it's reminding me of the segregation that is talked about in Fences. They both combine segregation and sports in one way or another. It's a much bigger issue in Remember the Titans, but Troy also mentions it several times in Fences. Remember the Titans takes place in 1971, and Fences takes place in the 1950s. I was amazed to find out that this movie takes place after the Civil Rights Movement and after Fences. The high school in this movie is completely segregated, and the people in the town do not accept the African Americans at all. Finally, they agree to let them play together, but the other teams still are very judgmental and completely unreasonable. At that time, racism was still a huge issue. It's really sad to watch this movie and see what African Americans had to go through. Most of them weren't even given a shot, and this was almost twenty years later than the novel. This led me to have some understanding for where Troy is coming from. Don't get me wrong, I think that Troy should've given Cory a chance to play football; parents should give their kids as many opportunities as possible, but I can see why he might feel that he needs to protect him. I don't necessarily think he did it in order to protect his son, but it's a possibility, and he could've potentially protected him from a lot of horrible things that were done to African Americans at this time. Many people probably would not have accepted Cory, and he would've gone through some difficult times in order to get to his success.  I hope that Troy made his decision because he was trying to help his son out, but it's very hard to tell.

2 comments:

  1. I agree with you. I think that I am actually starting to see where Troy is coming from. Part of me wants to believe that Troy is just jealous and doesn't want Cory to be better than him, but I am starting to wonder if that isn't the case. I think that it's partly hard to tell because of Troy's personality and behavior. I wouldn't always think that someone like him would truely want to help anyone.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thoughtful post, Kaitlyn. I think it's interesting how both Fences and Remember the Titans use sports as a vehicle to talk about racism.

    ReplyDelete